For some businesses, social media brings benefits and
for some it affects their businesses negatively. Businesses which are not using
social media properly for the advertising are not progressing in their
business. They have to adopt this social media change in order to get
successful in business world. With the change of social media, the demands of
customers are also changing. In this era of social media people want to make
decisions by reading about the product and they are seeking for the specific
information about the products and companies online. Moreover, they want to
receive the sales messages and ads on the social networking sites. By using
these sites, customers can reach to the information of products easily and
faster. Social media educates customers about a company’s standard, quality and
value of the product.
80%
of US social network users prefer to connect to brands through Facebook. Social
media is playing an important role in engaging customers to buy the products. The
revolution of social media forces these companies to use networking sites who
are not using it for advertising and promotion purposes.
However, some businesses do not know how
to use the social media affectively and they are not aware that social media
can damage their reputation in the business world. Moreover, a business’s sale
can be affect by the changing views (positive and negative) of customers
because of social media.
From times
article, I found that Dominions had damaged its reputation in the past. Two
dominions employees put their prank video on YouTube which showed that they are
violating the health code standards. Social media sites promoted it and these
two employees got charged for selling prohibited food. Brands
which are not using social media should understand that their wrong and
inappropriate information can cause trouble for them
Business should be careful about the words and posts
they put on the Social Media sites because their advertisements can impact
customers. It is important for corporations to use appropriate strategies of social
media in order to expand their businesses.
There are some people have this misconception
that they are using social media for their personal uses, so they can also
manage their businesses easily on the social media websites. These individuals
should be using some basic knowledge of business advertising on social media. They
should make strategies about promoting their product on the social media sites
and be aware about the consequences as well. Business should hire agencies or professional
individuals that can only focus on handling the social media advertisements. Moreover,
they should know how often and when they should post their ads to get most
views from the customers. They must know what sites and apps they have to use
to get most views and likes on their posts and ads. Additionally, they would have
knowledge that what their customers like the most and what they want to see on the
social media sites from the company’s advertisements. Using these strategies can
make big changes and make companies successful.
Social Media change is a great invention to connect
people, and business should get advantage from this to expand their businesses.
I agree wholeheartedly that businesses need to adapt in order to survive. Utilizing social media is of the utmost importance for dominating the business world in today’s society. Sometimes I consider that older business owners may struggle to survive because of their inability to adapt, or unfamiliarity with the internet. Whenever I search for a business or service online, and see that they have no web presence, I become frustrated and reevaluate if I really want to give them my hard earned money. You bring up a good point about what businesses post on social media- I have seen many business suffer backlash from inappropriate comments.
ReplyDeleteNice post! I like how with this one you avoided blanket statements like how businesses are bad at social media, and instead said some are doing it well whereas others are doing it far worse.
ReplyDeleteIt's crazy how bad businesses can be with Twitter and such. For instance, Spagetti-O's did a 9/11 tribute that became immense media fodder. DeGiorno's frozen pizza, saw someone was using the hashtag #whyistayed, which was intended for women who survived domestic abuse, to market their pizza. I wish businesses realized we don't mind them being on social media if they contribute something funny or viral, but for the love of God stop commenting on social issues.
It’s a changing world and we have to change with it. As a small business owner, I definitely understand what you mean by the positive and negative effect of using social media to promote a business. I didn’t understand this at first but it didn’t take me long to understand that social media could be the blessing that business owners been waiting for as well as the downfall if not used properly. That said, it’s still the best way to expand your business to areas and people you never thought would know or hear about you. I’ve met some amazing people that I now work with that I never thought I would meet, thanks to social media.
ReplyDeleteI really think that if a business is going to begin to promote over social media they should have a department dedicated to only promoting. If the business is small use a freelancer that specializes in promoting businesses on social media.
ReplyDeleteThere are so many reasons social media could destroy a business, one reason is the message could be directed at personal beliefs, not all ads have to be funny or clever either, there should be a balance of what you are selling and what you want the message to portray. If it's a serious message, you don't want funny.
Another thing that could be negative to a business on social media, is leaving someone inexperienced, like an intern, to do the social media aspect of the company. You wouldn't leave a 6 year old to cook by themselves, why would you leave someone that has no experience possibly, by themselves to manage the social media aspect of your company.
I really think that hiring the right people is the best thing a business can do before they leap into the social media world and when hiring make sure they remember sometimes joking is not funny. Like when an employee from Chrysler tweeted about how bad driver's were in Detroit, even though this person was fired, it has been a problem for them and they didn't renew the twitter account. Another example of poor use of social media, Mcdonalds wanted to promote the farmers that brought good things to the company, using a hashtag #McDStories, twitter users took the hashtag and complained about how horrible the companies food is. Or KitchenAid who during the presidential debate, the company tweeted about his grandmothers death.
If a business is going to begin using social media, the key factor is having the right team or person to maintain their social media sites.
I like how you added onto your previous blog. I agree that it can benefit some businesses but some it can seriously harm. And i like how you talk about the placement of adds and when I read that the first thing I thought of was Facebook, then you mentioned it. But I thought about how many times I've seen a clothing add and really liked the shirt on the add and went to the website and it was a brand I had never heard of. So the advertising does work, but like you said, there are some instances where there can be really bad press that comes out of some advertising. But that ties into the idea that "there is no such thing as bad press."
ReplyDeletePersonally, I know social media is a big part of my SOCIAL life. I am in a fraternity and we promote every event we have on social media because that is where it will get the most attention and also simply because it is free. However, social media does have its disadvantages. The main disadvantage that social media has is that it causes a numerous amount of distractions. Nowadays there are students, teens, and adults in classes, meeting, and at work on his or her phone looking at Instagram and Facebook just to receive some type of entertainment. The way society is now, is a lot different from the past.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you Sarah that these social media sites may also ruin a businesses’ reputation. The businesses have to be very careful in what they post. Sometimes, the company itself may not post something that will harm itself, but it might be the other sources, as you mentioned in your example of Dominos. Since social media is growing very fast, I wonder if soon we will be discussing about the rules and regulations on employees to post things online about the business that they work for.
ReplyDeleteNice Blog!
I agree with you that business should connect with the social media today to be able to properly advertise their product or service. I am sure they all hire the necessary professionals to take responsibility for the commercial. However, there are many uncontrollable factors. For example, as you have said the employees of Dominos posted something that has negative effect for the company. These factors cannot be controlled, you cannot possibly demand your employees what to do and not to do during their private time. So I wouldn’t say that the business did not use social media well enough, it’s just sometimes things go beyond their control.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your point that social media as important as physical capital to be successful in presenting your products. Businesses that have capital advantage also have advantage using social media since it requires investment and it seems challenging for small businesses. As you said, it is also challenging on how to use social media because what communicated in social media spreads fast. Identity theft is also becoming big challenge since information in the net is difficult and costly to safeguard. If an enterprise hacked and lost customer information, it hard to get back customer confidence and becomes difficult to compete.
ReplyDeleteSocial media has become almost a necessity for a company to have. When I hear about a new business, I just about always check out their website and/or Facebook page to find out more about them. Social media can make or break a company's success, it's very important that a company have someone trained in PR to maintain their social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter, otherwise sites like that can backfire and really hurt a company's image.
ReplyDeleteThe most interesting part of your post was where you talked about how social media can hurt a company or a brand. Even if the employees in the video weren't doing anything that they were told to do by their bosses and were breaking the laws and the rules of their company when they did their prank, they were still representing that brand in the video they posted to social media. So an entire brand paid the price for what these guys did.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you to when you mention that certain businesses can be harmed for the lack of social media. At this day in age even the president and vice president have social media accounts. Not to long ago Joe Biden posted a picture eating ice cream with cash in his hand making a duck face. Our generation is extremely in tune with how social media works and most things are about appearances and how you portray yourself to the public. During one of Obama’s appearances people were more focused on what he was wearing than what he was saying. At state of the union addresses people only catch the first 15 seconds so I can see how lack of social media can negatively affect a company.
ReplyDeleteThis post really helps clarify your first post. I totally see your point now and agree with you. It makes a lot of sense that, as with everything, there are positives and negatives to every aspect of life. The correct utilization of social media can really help grow a business, but one bad interaction in social media or a silly comment and it can really hurt their business altogether. This is especially true to our day and age where many interactions are relied upon on Facebook, twitter, youtube, etc.
ReplyDelete