The researcher related to social media and business field that I would like to introduce my audience with is Andrew Stephen. Andrew Stephen is Assistant Professor of Business Administration & Katz Fellow in Marketing at the Joseph M. Katz Graduate School of Business at the University of Pittsburg. He complete his PhD in Marketing with Distinction and an MPhil in Marketing from Columbia University. He is recognized an expert of the social media and marketing field and has strong experience with different companies one of them is American Express. At the University of the Pittsburgh he is responsible for the Digital Marketing with in Katz MBA program and also teaches social media marketing and digital media analytics.
Professor Stephen’s research is
related to understanding the causes, types, and consequences of using social
media in marketplaces. He studies that what causes social media interactions in
the business world, he identify the types of interaction that can occur, and
how these interactions can affect the customers and businesses routine. His
research program focusing on the social media, social networks, mobile
advertising, social exchange, crowdsourcing, and word of mouth.
Stephen’s research is focusing and
contributing on social interactive marketing channels, he is searching that
what motivates people to contribute and invest on the social media sites, and
what type of users are effectively getting information from the social media.
Moreover, his other researches extend to on focusing that how social media
information affects the decision making of the consumers and productivity.
Professor Stephon has recognized for his work and also received many awards for his contributions. The awards includes the Marketing Science Institute's Alden G. Clayton Award, a Google-WPP Marketing Research Award, the American Marketing Association's John A. Howard Award, and the American Marketing Association's Donald R. Lehmann Award. For the complete award list please visit the website.
Wow I am impressed by the work of Dr. Andrew Stephen. With technology advancing all the time and social media and the internet being such a huge part of our lives it's important that we know how it effects us. So it's great that this person is doing a lot of research into social media. You say that he works in marketing for various companies, could that mean that his research is a part of techniques used to advertise things to people on social media? I would love to see research that isn't focused on using media to influence people but from the summary you gave of his work I don't see that yet. It's just something that makes me a little concerned.
ReplyDeleteI think this type of research is great, especially when kids are on the net as young as 2 years old. It has been shown that social media like facebook, can actually be negative in how we build relationships. Yes, Facebook gives us that connection to others but it doesn't really give us the connection we really need. Social media has a negative affect also on the part of our brains that seek pleasure, what will happen when this doesn't give you pleasure anymore, what will people turn to next to fulfill that need? The media is in our faces all the time telling us what to buy, what to look like, and so many other things that can turn any happy person into having a negative image about themselves. For example, a person portrays themselves on the internet as being this amazing person, which we all do, but when you decide to meet someone you have become friends with on Facebook, it could increase the person's anxiety. I am all for technology and social media but there we must be careful to not allow ourselves to forget that we need real relationships to have a good life, we need people that love us for us, not for what we make ourselves to be online. We need real things, relationships, and limit our time on social media.
ReplyDeleteIt is very interesting to know that Social Media increases self-esteem and it decreases self-control. I feel that when someone is on social media and are about to post something, they do not get much time to think if they should post something or make changes to their post. I think Social Media decreases the time of thinking. Other researches are very interesting too.
ReplyDeleteI really like the scholar that you have presented and all his researches. Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to your next blog.
Social media involvement in our daily lives is huge; it’s become the source of everything we want and need. It has a created a positive impact in our lives but some negative ones too as others have mentioned. So I applaud Andrew Stephen on his research and thank you Sarah for sharing his work with us. Understanding the causes, types and consequences of using social media in general is something we ought to think of as an individual, as a business owner, as someone’s brother or sister and especially parents but the truth is, we only convince ourselves that social media is nothing but good or ask ourselves, how bad can it be, simply because of how comfortable it’s made our lives….but too much of a good thing
ReplyDeleteI can definitely see how social media can increase self-esteem and decrease self-control. On social media sites such as Facebook it's not uncommon to see posts by friends clearly fishing for compliments. I'll even admit that getting a decent number of likes on a new picture makes me feel good. Social media is also a big distraction and can cause one to lose self-control. The correlation between social media use and body mass index is definitely not a surprise, sometimes you lose track of time and end up sitting around much longer than you ever anticipated to. I'm almost 30 and grew up before the internet became as quick and popular as it is now; sometimes I wonder if I would have been overweight if I had the internet back when I was a kid.
ReplyDeleteSocial media has given many people a platform to communicate and interact like never before. I personally never had a Facebook, twitter, myspace, or Instagram account. My mother on the other hand has had it for years as well as everyone in my family. It’s definitely not surprising that social media can boost self-esteem and lower self-control, however, I’d argue that it can also cause self-esteem to plummet. I know several people who live and breathe social media. It is a part of everything they do. From tweeting their feelings to snapping pictures and posting them to their Facebook and Instagram accounts – their lives revolve around it. I think finding the appropriate balance and keeping things in perspective is the best mode to go at it.
ReplyDeleteProfessor Stephon seems to be making a lot of innovative advances in that of social media. I think he is correct when he says social media can enhance self-esteem however I believe that it can do the opposite. Not many people are comfortable with themselves and sometimes social media can make it worse. For example, cyber bulling is a prime example of how it can affect those with low self-esteem. Then there are others who get extremely confident due to social media. At my high school when they first started using instagram a lot of the girls who were shy and didn’t say a word in school were posting half naked pictures.
ReplyDeleteAndrew Stephen's research is really useful for our future generation! Social media really creates a massive stress and self-demeaning portrayal of one's own life. Especially with younger girls where photoshop and other glamour adding effects on social media can make the rest look boring or not as attractive. Such false sense of gratification as well as notion for self denial of ones true nature can really hurt self-esteem and mental stability of the younger generations.
ReplyDelete